Courtesy of Elizabethtown Athletic Communications
AMHERST, Mass. -- The Elizabethtown College men's lacrosse team went up against the seventh-ranked team in NCAA Division III in Wednesday's Second Round contest at Amherst. The Mammoths got out to a lead and didn't look back to advance to Saturday's Third Round with a 21-9 win over the Blue Jays. Andrew Watts led E-town with three goals and an assist. Tom Mahoney had 18 saves in goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst (15-3) got out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter.
- Watts scored his first of three in the game on an extra man opportunity for Elizabethtown (11-8). The goal came with seven seconds left in the opening quarter to get the Jays on the board. Mike Scrafano provided the assist.
- Scrafano began the second with a goal for E-town to make it 10-2. Cameron Goodling recorded the assist on the junior's goal.
- Watts' second of the afternoon came unassisted two and a half minutes later.
- After the Mammoths extended the lead back to 10, the Blue Jays tallied three consecutive to make it a seven-goal game. Scrafano fed Nick Cost at 7:29 to make it 13-4, Ben Hiltebeitel scored at 6:04, and Cody Richter took a pass from Cost and went top shelf for a man up with 42 ticks left in the half.
- E-town trailed 13-6 at the break.
- A 4-0 spurt to start the half put Amherst ahead by 11. Watts and Richter got it back under 10 for the Blue Jays with back-to-back goals in the fourth quarter after Elizabethtown was held scoreless in the third.
- Watts fed Hiltebeitel late in the game, senior to senior, to close out their careers and the game. Hiltebeitel's second of the game came with 18 seconds to go in regulation.
- Jack Myers and Brandon Calle each played in the fourth quarter for the Jays.
- Richter and Hiltebeitel each had multi-goal efforts for EC while Scrafano and Cost added to the team's goal total.